“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives – choice, not chance, determines your destiny.” Aristotle
“Conscious (con-scious, kahn(t)-shus ; adj.) : aware, intentional, purposeful, mindful, deliberate. Perceiving, noticing, observing. Marked by thought, will, design or perception. (Merriam-Webster 2018)“
Living consciously is at the core of what Aristotle suggests about excellence, above.
Ideally, we make wise choices with mindful, purposeful awareness, which shapes our Life, and then we reap the fruit of those decisions.
Yet for many of us, living consciously becomes an elusive dream as we are caught up in the daily rush of modern life.
We try to live with “high intention, sincere effort and intelligent execution”, but somewhere between the multi-faceted demands of career, family, finances, health, social engagements, drama, electronic media, politics, and the seemingly constant barrage of shocking events . . .
. . . it’s easy to begin just going through the motions, day after day.
The Life we thought we were creating intentionally now appears to be more dream than reality; It becomes something we see from afar. Life holds those high intentions, yet waits patiently for us to come back to conscious awareness and resume the path we once were on.
Or, for others Life may be going pretty well, but we feel called to live up to our fullest potential. An inner knowing whispers that we are capable of more than what we are currently expressing.
We feel like there is another challenge that we are ready for, and we aren’t satisfied to stay in the same place any longer.
Maybe a promotion has or is about to happen. Perhaps we are in one career that we thought was right at one point, but now isn’t bringing fulfillment. That will mean stepping up and into a new vision for ourselves, having clear goals, and making the necessary changes for that to happen.
Do any of these sound familiar?
- Feeling overwhelmed and just going through the motions, day after day.
- It feels like there is something missing, even though you’ve done all the right things.
- Eager and ready to ‘take things to the next level’.
- Life feels out of balance and you want to set some new priorities.
- Things are going pretty well, but there is that one thing that you want to change and you need to either make it better, or drop it altogether.
- Did I choose the wrong career? How do I know and what do I do?
- Feeling incompetent, incapable or afraid of failure, despite being generally successful.
- Dissatisfied and unhappy, but not sure why.
- Knowing that something has to change soon and wanting help to make that happen.
- Lost your sense of purpose and wondering “what is the meaning in all of this?”
Coaching is a modern practice that helps people gain greater awareness about themselves, what direction they want to move in, and how to get there.
Above all, the coaching experience is client-centered and helps the client determine their own natural strengths and talents, which can assist them throughout life.
The client sets the direction, and the coach supports the client by providing feedback, asking powerful questions and reinforcing forward movement. Coach and client build a positive relationship based on mutual trust that is the foundation for positive growth for the client.
Steve has over 35 years navigating life as a successful professional in law, the judiciary, government, and behavioral health care. He has learned specific skills and processes that have helped him get to where he wanted to go. He also has the benefit of learning from trial and error along life’s journey.
Now, as a coach he is helping other professionals along their journey.
Contact Steve Hornsby with Your Conscious Life to schedule a free consultation.